Thursday, November 25, 2010

Who is to Say?

Historically, Thanksgiving was a time for people to give thanks for a bountiful harvest. Today, we buy our turkeys and produce at the grocery store and start cooking all those casseroles and pies a day early in preparation for all that family drama.

But somewhere in the midst of cooking and laughing and eating and arguing, there's a moment when we stop and actually wonder what we are thankful for.

This particular Thanksgiving, I happen to have several friends who are going through rough times. It's hard, when your heart is breaking or you're filing for bankruptcy or you're burying a loved one, to hold up a glass of wine and toast to all the things you are thankful for. Sometimes it even seems as though there were nothing in our lives worth the effort to give thanks.

I saw Natalie at the ranch this morning. She was coming to spend time with her horse, Pippin. She was the only one out there except for me. I thought, "That's so wonderful. She wants to spend Thanksgiving morning with her horse." I have no doubt that Pippin is thankful to have Natalie is his life.

Seeing Natalie made me recall a conversation I had with her mother, Teri, just the day before, when we were talking about change.

"There's a Tibetan tale," I told Teri, "that I love."

There's this boy, Yeshi. He wakes up one morning to find that the family's horse is missing. He and his father search all day to no avail. When night falls, Yeshi exclaims in tears, "What bad luck!!"

The father says, "Who can say what is good fortune or bad? Give thanks for everything."

Several days go by and Yeshi finds that his horse has returned and has brought with him another horse.

"This is good fortune!" Says Yeshi.

Of course his father says the same thing. "Who can say if this is good fortune or bad?"

The next week, Yeshi gets bucked off the new horse and breaks his leg.

"Our new horse was bad luck after all," moans Yeshi.

Yeshi's father says, "I'm sorry to see you hurt, but who can say what is good or bad? We have to wait and see."

The next day the King's men come to take all able men with them into battle. Of course Yeshi can't go because of his broken leg.

Even then, the father still says "Who can say if this is good fortune or bad? Give thanks for everything."

And so I propose to you that even in our darkest hour, we cannot know what the future holds for us. Our best bet is to reserve judgement. Be thankful for everything, even if it seems that something horrible has happened.

You never know where your choices will lead you. You never know when something that looks bad will turn out to be something good.

And you never know when a simple "Thank You" is all you need to make someone smile.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! May your cup runneth over.

5 comments:

  1. Whenever you told Terri that story, I was sitting next to her and I heard her say. "That's a good story." When she hung up, from talking with you, she told me that was the first time she had a lengthy conversation with you and she commented on how nice you were. Of course, I said, "Yes, she is very sweet."

    Natalie spent part of her Thanksgiving morning with the rescue horses also, along with her sister, Morgan. I am thankful that they are working with them. These horses have come a long way in three months and it is amazing to see them trust again.

    Natural Horsemanship is getting popular in our local community and I am so glad about that. I am thankful to Mirka Pitts also for introducing it to so many; some of those who take lessons from Mirka have adopted PER rescues and I am so excited to see the amazing breakthroughs that they are experiencing.

    Thank you Jolee, for taking the time to learn NH training. Only good can come of it. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolie, your writing is as beautiful as awlays. And I cannot help but think of your husband's McCarthy class when I read "Who is to say?" It gives me a giggle every time I read it. Great blog, I read it often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeni! You got it! You'll probably be the only who actually "gets" the title. When Allen read the blog before I posted it, that's what he said. "Who is to say?" in that great accent he uses when immitating the jail guy in All the Pretty Horses. My response was, "THAT's going to be my title."

    ReplyDelete
  4. A "Gold Star" Thanksgiving story! Thank You so much! I'm sending a link to it so all m' friends might enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog