Monday, February 8, 2010

Close Call


Today is the perfect day to start this blog. When I arrived at the ranch early this morning, I went to check on Schatzi. His mom, Leslie, had asked me the night before if I would look at his back leg and see if it was still swollen. It was. Hardly noticable from the front, the swelling was located just around his fetlock. There was a good deal of heat coming from the swelling.

I knocked on Janine's door.
"Just a minute!" she called.
I could tell I had caught her in the middle of something. When she opened the door, I realized she had just gotten out of the shower.
"Would you mind looking at Schatzi's leg? Leslie is worried he has an abcess. It doesn't look better to me. I think I need to load him in the trailer and take him to see Dr. Weekley."
"I'll be right there," she said. Then she paused. "Can I comb my hair first?"
"No," I replied. There's always a second with Janine when she wonders if you really mean "no."
Then Janine laughed and went inside to comb her lovely strawberry blond hair.

I had Schatzi in the cross ties when Janine walked over.
"It's the back left leg," I said. "There's heat, and I don't think the swelling has gone down at all."
Janine leaned down and picked up the back hoof. (Janine is in her last year at the University of West Florida. She has been working hard and making fantastic grades. She plans to head to vet school.)
"I see what you mean," said Janine.
Just then, Schatzi began to lift his tail. My eyes widened just as the manure started to fall.
I don't remember if I said anything. But I pulled Janine away just as the manure fell past her head.

We laughed and laughed. A near miss. Janine was able to go about her day without taking another shower and throwing her clothes in the wash, and I was able to saddle up Sky, knowing it was going to be a good day.

Dr. Weekley came out to see Schatzi and took care of his hoof, which was causing the problem. Now we have a week of soaking to look forward to. I'm sure Schatzi will make it interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog