Monday, February 15, 2010

Those Crazy Arabians

The Baker Show is over. We all had a fantastic time, except for Sky, who was ticked off the entire time we were there. When we were braiding her mane, the look in her eyes was one of pure distain. You could almost hear her say, "I am not a show pony! I am retired. I graze and look good. Please take me home."

Actually, Sky did very well on Saturday, especially considering she and I had only a handful of lessons the month prior to donning show gear and entering the ring. We were happy with the result. A nice place to start.

Sunday was a different matter altogether. Sky must have had time to plan during the night--or plot. She felt fairly put together up until we rode down to the arena, at which point Sky suddenly forgot she had been there the day before. He eyes became wild, her head high in the air. When the judge blew the whistle, Sky lurched forward and her body went rigid.
"Don't go in there!" she was saying. "We're all going to die!"
She tried to dart left, then right.
"Can't you see the teeth on that letter E?!"
She hopped to the side, snorting and blowing, avoiding the menacing judges who were obviously armed with tassers.
The corners must have been filled with popping firecrackers, though no one could hear them but Sky.
Several times when the letter C threatened to attack from behind, cantering out of the arena became a possibility.

"That's the best I've seen you ride," said Alexis later. "You sat back and pushed forward. You were determined to finish that test. Welcome to 'Thank GOD the test is OVER'"

"How old is she again?" a man asked as I left the arena with Sky snorting and doing that prancing trot in place, which means she really wants to get gone and get gone fast. "She's 26, "I said.

"Arabians," someone else said.

After that horrific episode in the show ring, I was SO happy she was an Arabian. Compete with a Quarter horse and have a test go that bad, people immediatley look to the rider. When an Arabian acts like a psycho crazy horse, people just shake their heads knowingly, and say, "That's an Arabian for you." I actually got "Patient Rider" on my test.

Oh, yes. I was glad the test was over. No doubt.

Now all the pretty show ponies are enjoying being home. They have the day off. So do we! But tomorrow the work starts over again. We have the Blue Angel Dressage Show to look forward to and a lot of work yet to do.

Just don't tell Sky.

1 comment:

  1. Great job! You and Sky look AWESOME! I'm so sorry i had to miss this one. So proud of you both!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog