Monday, February 22, 2010

The Protective Mother...The Spoiled Child

When I walked into the barn today, there was one horse sticking her head out, looking at me.

Naysa.

She gave a low nicker, and I knew she was asking politely for a treat, preferably a peppermint. I obliged. When I started opening the peppermint, all the other horse heads began to pop out. First Tucker, then Cymba. Flea, Annie and Jayla. Sky, then Lady and little by little the rest of the barn.

I usually give in to all the beckoning horsey stares, and I end up getting finger cramps opening all the peppermints necessary to satisfy a barnful of horses, but today I was focused on Naysa. She had some crusty stuff in the corner of her eyes, so I wet a washcloth with warm water and washed her face. She lowers her head when I do that and leans into me. She likes having her face washed.

After spending some time grooming her and loving her, I decided to halter her and set out for the round pen.

The majority of the groundwork we have done together has involved overcoming her trust issues. Touching here, touching there, lifting legs, saddling and bridling, even mounting and riding around a bit, but it has not included any serious training or round-pen work.

I have TRIED to work with Naysa in the round pen, but when I am with her, I am the dotting mother. She trusts me, wants to be near me, walks with me, waits for praise. I have tried to send her around the pen or lunge her, but she doesn't understand and keeps trying to come back to me. The confused look in her eyes is too much for me to take. And I don't have the strength to do what I need to do and send her away from me and herd her around the pen. I don't have the heart.

Alexis walked up to the round pen while Naysa and I were practicing walking over poles and backing up and moving away from pressure.

"You're going to have to be the one to lunge her," I said. "I can't do it."

"I know," was all she said.

I realize that Naysa needs to start training in order to take the final leap that will make her a normal horse just like any other. But to do that, she must move out from under my protective wing and learn to be a horse again, not just mama's baby.

It's going to be hard for me to let go, but I know that in the end, Naysa will be a stronger and happier horse. And it's only through training that we'll be able to complete the fairy tale--that we'll be able to go to a show together and let her show the world that she wasn't just the horse that refused to die, but the horse that conquered her fears in order to shine.

2 comments:

  1. I love her updates. You know, she's too old for the longe line class anyway. :-) She doesn't really need to longe to go to a show. You ought to put on a benefit horseshow for HfH at your place - we have them in Washington with special classes for rescued horses only and the whole day is fun - no show clothes required, nontraditional tack and schooling equipment is fine, and we have fun games along with the serious classes. The cool part is that it raises thousands for rescue. If you have enough parking to put on a show, go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog